Newton Flag Project contest now open
The Newton Flag Project steering committee is seeking submissions from Newton residents, past or present, or friends of Newton, to design a city flag. This flag is intended to inspire pride and unity in our community.
The committee will accept submissions through Friday, July 31. Designs will be posted online for a public vote to narrow down the top finalists. A volunteer panel of local artists and community members will then judge and evaluate the finalists based on the criteria listed below. The winning design will be selected during the month of August. The winner will receive a cash prize, merchandise, and recognition at a community event this fall.
The committee will then bring the winning design to the Newton City Commission to consider adopting as the official city flag. The design will be in the public domain and made available for all to use.
Designers are advised to adhere to these flag design principles:
- Keep it simple – The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
- Use meaningful symbolism – The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to or tell a compelling story about the community.
- Use 2-3 basic colors.
- No lettering or seals – Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal.
- Be distinctive or be related – Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.
- Be timeless – Avoid using features that will become dated or obsolete.
- Consider real-world structure – Images should be legible on both front and back of the flag, and legible while flying or hanging.
Designers are also encouraged to use the feedback gathered during the project’s community meetings to inspire their designs. The full list of comments is available at newtonkansas.com/flag.
- Contest entry is free.
- You must complete and submit the Newton Flag Project Design Contest Entry Form with each entry. The entry form is available for download at newtonkansas.com/flag, or pick one up at City Hall or Newton Public Library.
- You may submit your flag design entry in digital (PDF, PNG or JPEG) format or hard copy format (paper). Submit digital entries via email to email@example.com. Drop off paper entries at City Hall or Newton Public Library, or mail to City of Newton, Attn: Flag Contest, PO Box 426, Newton KS 67114
- Your design entry must be your original work and must not include, be based on, or derived from any third-party designs, trademarks or copyrighted images.
- Each entry may only contain one design. You may submit up to three different design entries.
- Your entry must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, July 31 to be eligible for consideration. The Newton Flag Project is not responsible for entries that are lost, overlooked, damaged or not received by the contest deadline.