Assistant City Manager/
201 E. 6th St.
PO Box 426
Newton, KS 67114
Kelly McElroy is serving as Interim City Manager since the retirement of Bob Myers in early 2020.
The City Manager's role is to ensure that the policy direction set by the City Commission is implemented and that the City’s delivery of public services is provided in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Among the manager’s duties:
- Carrying out Commission policies and goals
- Ensuring effective and efficient delivery of City services
- Preparing and monitoring the annual budget
- Directing day-to-day operations of the City
- Attending City Commission meetings
- Recommending policies/programs to the City Commission
- Hiring and firing personnel
- Keeping the City Commission fully advised of the financial and other conditions of the City
- Supplying the City Commission with information to aid decision-making
- Serving as the City representative in various arenas