Newton is served by five at-large City Commissioners. City elections take place in the fall of odd-numbered years. The top two vote-getters are elected to four-year terms, and the third-place vote-getter serves a two-year term.
A mayor is appointed each year from within the Commission. Traditionally, the highest vote-getter in the last election is appointed vice mayor and becomes mayor the following year.
The mayor is recognized as the head of City government for ceremonial purposes. The mayor conducts Commission meetings and executes contracts, deeds and agreements on behalf of the City, but has no additional authority or voting powers. The vice mayor generally fulfills this role when the mayor is not available.
- Member, Meridian Baptist Church
- Member, Newton BPW
- Church Clerk and Hospitality Chairwoman, Meridian Baptist Church
- Phone: 316-516-4691
Vice Mayor Leroy Koehn
Owner, Koehn Painting Co.
Owner, Davis Pest Control
- Vice Chairman, Bluestem Communities Board of Directors
- Member, Amtrak National Customer Advisory Committee
- Past President, Newton Public Library Board of Trustees
- Past Chairman, Newton/North Newton Historic Preservation Commission
- Member, Newton Area Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Shalom Mennonite Church
- Phone: 316-283-2785
Past President, Newton Area Chamber of Commerce