Newton is a smoke-free community.
Since January 1, 2008, the Newton Clean Air Ordinance (No. 4646-07) has prohibited smoking in all enclosed public places, all enclosed places of employment, and certain designated outdoor areas.
The intent of the Clean Air Ordinance is to protect the public health, safety and welfare by regulating smoking in areas where exposure to secondhand smoke presents particular dangers to the public and to employees.
Regulated locations include, but are not limited to:
- Restaurants, bars and clubs
- Fraternal organizations and social clubs
- Retail stores
- Galleries, theaters and museums
- Indoor sports arenas and convention halls
- Restrooms, elevators, lobbies and hallways
- Banks, professional offices and meeting facilities
- Outdoor areas within 20 feet of public entrances, exits and ventilation intakes
- 20 feet around outdoor vendor areas, such as food or souvenir vendors
For more information: