Tour the Wastewater Treatment Plant
Provide an environmentally sound wastewater collection and treatment system in compliance with state and federal regulations.
Wastewater collection employees maintain more than 100 miles of wastewater lines and seven lift stations.
Wastewater Collection Duties
- Repair and replace broken sewer mains
- High-pressure jet clean the entire collection system annually
- Televise sewer lines annually
- Plan for solutions to inflow/infiltration problems
- Check and maintain seven lift stations twice weekly
- Respond to backup reports
- Repair manholes
- Tap clay tile lines when necessary
- Have two employees on call for 24-hour service
- Perform utility locates
Collection Training and Certifications
Fifteen employees at the Service Center are certified operators, with some of them holding multiple classifications. Four have Class IV certification, one has Class III certification, seven have Class II certification, and eleven have Class I certification. Certified operator requirements include 10 hours of training by a KDHE certified school every two years. All of the employees in wastewater collection are certified in confined space as well as trenching and shoring and participate in monthly safety training.
Staff are responsible for cleaning wastewater, brought to the plant by the collection systems to meet Kansas Department of Health and Environment requirements. The cleaned water is then released into a receiving stream, Slate Creek, which enters into Sand Creek.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Duties
- Collect influent and effluent samples daily
- Analyze samples in lab for BOD, TSS, ammonia, fecal coliform
- Operate plant and make adjustments using lab information
- Maintain facility grounds
- Maintain pumps and motors through monthly preventative maintenance program
- Monitor plant 24 hours a day through SCADA system
- Maintain and clean facility buildings
- Haul and spread sludge on City-owned farmland
- Submit monthly monitoring report to state
Treatment Training and Certifications
The Wastewater Treatment Plant has five employees that are certified State of Kansas operators. Four are Class IV operators, one is a Class III operator, and one has a dual certification as a Class I laboratory analyst. All the wastewater treatment employees are also certified in confined space as well as trenching and shoring and participate in monthly safety training.
Automatic Bill Payment
By signing up for our automatic bill payment plan, your monthly utility bill will automatically be deducted from the checking or savings account of your choice on the due date. You will eliminate the need to write a check every month, purchase stamps, and make trips to the mailbox. Once enrolled, you'll never have to worry about paying your bill because everything is taken care of automatically.