The City of Newton uses an automated garbage collection system. The automated collection truck has a single driver that controls a side arm device that grabs, lifts and empties the rollout cart into the truck and returns it to the curb. Collection occurs once each week.
What to put in your trash cart
- Regular household trash
- Small appliances
- Small tree twigs (less than 50% capacity)
What not to put in your trash cart
- Recyclable materials
- Grass, leaves and other lawn and garden waste
- Liquid waste of any type
- Household hazardous waste
- Items too large to fit in cart
- Hot embers or ashes
- Rocks, concrete or dirt
- Construction, remodeling or demolition debris
- Unprotected needles and sharps
Trash and recycle carts
The rollout carts used in the collection system are City property and assigned to your address. These carts are designed to work with our collection trucks. Although the 90-gallon cart should be large enough for the average Newton household, an extra cart can be issued for an additional monthly fee. Smaller carts are also available for those who have difficulty handling the large ones. Call us for details.
Placement for collection
- Bag your trash before putting it in your trash cart. There is no need to bag recyclables in the recycle cart.
- Place your carts at the curb with at least 3 feet of separation between them, and clear of trees, shrubs, mailboxes, parked vehicles, etc. Drivers need an unobstructed path for emptying the carts. Do not put your carts in the street.
- Your carts should be facing the street with the lid fully closed.
- Excess trash or recyclables may be set out in plastic bags allowing at least 3 feet of clear space for automated loading of the cart; trash bags to the side of the trash cart and recycle bags to the side of the recycle cart.
- Roll your carts to the curb between 5 p.m. the day before collection and 7 a.m. the day of your collection.
- Remove your carts from the curb within 24 hours after pickup.
- Only put acceptable items in your carts.
- Avoid overfilling the carts. The automated collection system works best if the lid is completely closed.
- Do not place more than 200 pounds of material in your carts.
- Store your carts in a location that is behind the front line of your house.
- Rinse your carts out with a garden hose as needed.