- Mix 3 tablespoons washing soda in one quart of warm water.
- Mix baking soda with a small amount of water.
- Mix vinegar with salt and water.
- Melt 1 tablespoon Carnauba Wax into 2 cups mineral oil.
- Dissolve 1 part lemon juice into 2 parts vegetable or mineral oil.
- Wash painted wood with a teaspoon of washing soda in a gallon of hot water; rinse with clear water.
- Pour white vinegar and salt over copper; rub and rinse.
- Use a lemon juice and salt paste on copper and brass.
- Use Worcestershire sauce or scrub brass with toothpaste.
- Pour tomato ketchup on brass, let sit and wipe dry.
- Use water in which onions have been boiled on brass.
- Soak silver about 5 minutes in a quart of warm water containing a tablespoon of baking soda, a tablespoon of salt and a piece of aluminum foil.
- Rub silver with toothpaste or baking soda and a soft cloth, rinse and polish dry.
Glass and Window Cleaners
- Cornstarch and water.
- 1/2 cup vinegar mixed with one quart warm water.
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice or rubbing alcohol mixed with water.
- Scrub with baking soda and water.
- Place liners in your oven to catch drips during baking.
- Sprinkle salt on spills when they are warm, then scrub.
- Mix 2 tablespoons liquid soap, 2 teaspoons borax, and a quart of warm water; leave on oven for 20 minutes, then scrub with fine steel wool or a non-chlorinated scouring powder.
- Dip a wet sponge in baking soda to clean glass oven doors.
- Grow lots of house plants.
- Use fresh flowers or potpourri.
- Leave open boxes of baking soda in refrigerator, closets and bathrooms.
- Saturate a cotton ball with pure vanilla; place on a saucer in refrigerator or car.
- Simmer cinnamon and cloves.
- To clean garbage disposals, grind used lemons in the disposal or pour in baking soda.
Sprinkle baking soda or Borax in bottom of trash can.
- Clear clogged pipes with a plumber's snake.
- To unclog drain, pour 1/4 cup baking soda down the drain, followed by 1/2 cup white vinegar. Let sit a few minutes, then pour a kettle of boiling water down the drain to flush.
- Pour 1/4 cup salt down the drain, followed by boiling water, every week for preventative maintenance.
Rug and Upholstery Cleaner
- Clean immediately with soda water and baking soda paste; then vacuum.
- Clean immediately with club soda.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Use toilet brush and baking soda.
- Let 1 cup Borax sit in bowl overnight.
Put paste of Borax and lemon juice on toilet bowl stains.
- Scrub mildew spots with baking soda or sponge with white vinegar.
- To clean a shower curtain, machine wash with 1/2 cup soap and 1/2 cup baking soda; add a cup white vinegar to rinse cycle.
- Keep surfaces clean and dry to reduce the need for disinfectant.
- For hospital-quality disinfectant, use 1/4 cup borax dissolved in 1/2 gallon hot water.
Instead of Mothballs
- Cedar wood chips
- Dried lavender flowers