- Use cinnamon, cream of tartar, corn meal, clove powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper or red chili powder to hinder entry.
- Draw a line with chalk. They will not cross the line.
- Wash kitchen counters with equal parts white vinegar and water.
- Plant pennyroyal, peppermint and tansy around your home.
Sprinkle used coffee grounds around outside of house.
- Remove all sources of food and water and hiding places such as old newspapers and other clutter.
- Place bay leaves around cracks in room.
- Set out dishes of equal amounts baking soda and powdered sugar. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Fleas and Ticks
- Vacuum every day for a week and throw away the vacuum bag each day.
- Place eucalyptus leaves in your pet's sleeping area.
- Use mint as a fly repellant. Small sachets of crushed mint can be placed around the home to discourage flies.
- Bay leaves, cloves and eucalyptus wrapped in small cheesecloth squares can be hung by open windows or doors.
A few drops of eucalyptus oil on a scrap of absorbent cloth will deter flies. Leave in areas where flies are a problem.
Garden Pesticide Alternatives
- Eliminate sources of standing water.
- Plant mint in your yard.
- Use citronella or pennyroyal.
Plant Thai Lemon Grass.
Aphids and Spider Mites
- Spray a mixture of a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a quart of water on plants. (Spraying every three days over a nine-day period interrupts their egg cycle.)
Garden Chemical Alternatives
- Use household compost, wood ash, peat moss, or fish meal.
- Avoid over-watering.
- Keep garden growing areas clean and dry.