The Engineering Division consists of engineering design, infrastructure construction, planning support, stormwater management, building inspection, zoning, environmental control, and public building maintenance. Suzanne Loomis, P.E., City Engineer/Director of Public Works, heads this division, with the Building & Zoning Administrator overseeing all building code enforcement.
To serve Newton citizens by designing and maintaining infrastructure and administering and enforcing zoning and code enforcement issues in a fair and impartial manner.
About the Engineering Division
The City of Newton Engineering Division oversees all infrastructure development in Newton, including roads, streets, drainage improvements, water lines, sewer lines, and City-owned buildings. Building inspection staff administers and enforces building codes within Newton (as well as North Newton and Walton as per contract), including all commercial and residential new construction and remodel projects with a value over $500. Zoning administration enforces the zoning ordinances, including property use and setback variances.
- Airport snow removal equipment invitation for bids (5/25/16)
- Wastewater Treatment Plant RFQ (12/24/13)
- South Kansas Avenue Traffic Study (12/04/12)
- Kansas Avenue Traffic 24th to 36th Report
- Capital-Projects 2015
- Safe Routes to School
- Newton Public Library Proposal (8/26/09)
- Downtown Newton Master Plan (2/27/09)
- Design Standards Paving-Drainage - 05/22/07
- Drainage Drawings & Design Requirements [8.2 MB]
- Water Line Design Standards
- Sanitary Sewer Design Standards
- Developer Fact Sheet
- Construction Site BMP Manual and Post Construction Stormwater BMP Manual are available on the Stormwater Management page
- General Contract Conditions
- Water Line Specifications
- Sanitary Sewer Specifications
- Paving-Drainage Specifications - 04/24/07
- Newton Construction Site BMP Specifications