The Newton Police Department seeks to maintain a partnership with the community in an effort to reduce crime and to enhance the quality of life. These goals are best accomplished through positive and open communication and the development of public trust, including engagement of a Law Enforcement Advisory Panel.
- Advise and assist the Police Department in development, education and community outreach and communications related to bias-based policing or racial profiling by law enforcement officers.
- Advise and assist the Police Department on other issues related to law enforcement, including the use of force, community relations, police operations and related matters.
- Provide comments and recommendations to the Chief of Police on department policies and procedures for receiving and investigating formal citizen complaints.
- The Chief of Police will consider the panel’s recommendations or concerns. Should any concerns remain unresolved after receiving a response from the Chief of Police, the panel may request the matter be referred to the City Manager.
LEAP is composed of nine members appointed by the Mayor with the consent of the majority of the City Commission. The composition of the panel shall reflect the racial and ethnic composition of the community. Members serve three-year terms. Current members:
- David Yoder
- Jean Butts
- Barbara Lee
- Shafiq Hasan
- Gloria Arellano
- Fabiola Flores
- Greg Nickel
- Julian Gonzalez-Salamanca
If you have a complaint
Any person who believes they have been subjected to racial or other biased-based policing may file a complaint with the Newton Police Department and/or the Attorney General’s Office. No person will be discriminated against or subjected to retribution because they have filed a complaint.
To submit a complaint, fill out and submit the form linked below, or print and seal it in an envelope, clearly mark that it is for the Police Department, and drop it off either at the police station or in the utility payment box outside City Hall.