Visit our Facebook page here.
A career with Newton Fire/EMS is a challenging and rewarding job in emergency services. Being a dual-role department, our activity level is higher than most. We expect a lot from our employees, and we reward them with competitive wages and excellent benefits. We encourage our employees to advance their knowledge and skills in both roles, and we provide support for those willing to do so. If you are a person who is willing to work, study and improve your professional capability, then you should apply for a job with Newton Fire/EMS.
The most important factor/qualities considered in an applicant for this position include:
- Individuals are expected to become a member of a close knit team that works together for 24 hours at a time. For many individuals, this is more time than is spent with their families. Therefore, an applicant’s personality is strongly considered to determine whether he/she can work as part of a team.
- All applicants are assessed to determine their moral/ethical fiber. Only individuals who posses a strong moral/ethical foundation will be considered for hire. Extensive background checks are performed on selected candidates prior to consideration for hiring.
- Applicants should possess strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills. While face-to-face communication is best form, much of the communication practiced within this field is written, telephone, computer-generated or non-verbal.
- Problem Solving
- Persons interested in this career field should possess good problem-solving skills and be able to perform under mental, physical and emotional pressures as well as extreme scrutiny.
Residency requirements apply to this position; successful applicants must live within 40 miles of the intersection of First Street and Main Street in Newton, KS within 6 months of hire.
Information regarding CPAT and Ergonomic Fire Team testing may be found at http://www.hutchcc.edu/public-safety/fire-science/cpat or by calling 620-728-4460.
The successful candidate must be able to pass a background check, drug screen and a physical. They must also have a valid State of Kansas driver’s license.
The City of Newton offers a competitive salary and fringe benefits including health insurance plan, KP&F retirement, life insurance plans, paid vacation, sick leave, and certain holidays. Annual wages for these positions are $37,430 to start for the Firefighter/EMT and $46,107 to start for the Firefighter/Paramedic.
What high school courses would help prepare a person for a job in this field?
A good broad-based education is the key. English, Communications, Science and Mathematics are cornerstone elements of everyday activities and responsibilities of this job. There is an increasing need for bi- or multi-lingual employees. Therefore, one or more foreign languages would assist you in this career.
The benefits associated with this career are unsurpassed. Newton Fire/EMS, along with the City of Newton, offers competitive wages, excellent major medical with optional dental, cancer and accidental insurance. We offer paid vacation and sick leave, retirement opportunities under Kansas Police and Fire Retirement System (KP&F), cafeteria plan, and a deferred compensation plan. Newton Fire/EMS is able to provide the services they do with up-to-date and reliable equipment and apparatus. The greatest benefit of all is one of no monetary value: the benefit of helping others in times of need.
Fire/EMS benefit package
- Life Insurance
- Paid family membership to the Newton Wellness Center
- Individual wellness plan available
- Health Insurance
- Prescription plan
- Dental Insurance
- Optional Insurance policies such as cancer, accident, and life
- Cafeteria section 125 flexible benefit plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation plan available
- Retirement plan—Kansas Police and Fire Retirement System
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick leave
- Longevity pay plan
- Paid holidays
- Competitive wage plan
- Firefighter’s Relief Association, includes AD&D policy
- 24/48 hour work schedule
- Promotional opportunities
- Voluntary paid recall opportunities
Complete an application by following this link https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/newtonkansas
Once again, if you want a challenging and rewarding career, you should consider a job with Newton Fire/EMS.