The City budget is a continuously ongoing process throughout all 12 months of the year. Each department makes a diligent effort to control expenses and decrease expenses when necessary without diminishing services provided to the citizens in our community.
Expenditures are authorized by a budget approved by the City Commission as required by Kansas Statutes. Kansas Statute Annotated 79-2929 requires a 10-day official notice be published and a public hearing be held before the City Commission prior to adopting the budget. Once the budget is adopted, the ad valorem tax to be levied is then certified to the Harvey County Clerk on or before August 25. (K.S.A. 79-1801)
The Kansas Cash Basis and Budget Laws require cash to be on-hand before expenditure is authorized, that all expenditures are budgeted, and that the budget not exceed anticipated revenues including carry-forward balances.
Key Budget Considerations:
- Federal and State-mandated improvement costs and programs.
- Debt obligations of the City for streets, water and sewer utility systems, bridges, drainage and facility improvements.
- Current services provided to citizens and associated costs.
- Reduction of State Revenue Sources in upcoming budgets.
- Benefits/Costs of prior City Commissioners' commitments in projects.