The Rundown – City approves permit for new summer festival
The Rundown is prepared by the City of Newton Public Information Office to summarize the City Commission meeting and does not represent official Commission minutes.
7 p.m. March 27, 2018, Newton City Commission meeting
At Tuesday night’s meeting, the City Commission approved a special event permit for Sand Creek Summer Daze, a new three-day festival coming to Athletic Park Aug. 17-19.
Greg Hanson, chair of the event committee, described the many activities planned for the festival, which will kick off with a floating parade down Sand Creek on Friday evening. Other events include the Sand Creek Volleyball charity tournament, a 5K walk/run, human foosball tournament, food trucks, a kite expo, KC Barbeque Society-sanctioned BBQ competition, home-brew beer competition, and live music shows throughout the weekend. The full event calendar is available at www.sandcreeksummerdaze.com.
Some events along the creek are free, while others within the park will require a $5 festival button. A few select events will have an additional ticket fee.
Hanson said buttons will be available for purchase at several upcoming community events, including the Downtown Car Show on May 5 and the Community Play Day on May 12.
The Commission honored members of the Newton High School wrestling and swimming teams who recently qualified and competed at State competitions.
In other action, the City Commission:
- Approved a request from Habitat for Humanity to waive about $1,500 in fees for building permits, water line tap, and water service turn-on for a new house under construction on West Third Street.
- Approved plans and specifications for sewer improvements to serve Autumn Glen 4th Addition and set a bid date of 11 a.m. April 17.
- Authorized an additional principal payment on the low-interest loan that financed the Sewer Treatment Plant upgrade project.
- Authorized Cottonwood Crossing to provide the City with a letter of credit in lieu of a performance bond for release of the project’s Moderate Income Housing grant funds from the State of Kansas.
- Approved a special event permit for the Paddle Battle at Sand Creek on April 21.
- Approved a cereal malt beverage license for Dillons #84 fuel center.
For more information, please contact Director of Communications Erin McDaniel at 284-6055 or email@example.com.