- Local Historic Register
The Haury-Hohman House at 2603 College Avenue in North Newton was listed on the Local Register in 2001. It was built in 1898 in a simple Queen Anne style as the home of G. A. Haury, professor of literature, Latin and German from 1893 to 1926 at Bethel College. Since its construction, the home has only had the Haury’s and the Hohmann’s as owners, and they have all had a teaching connection to Bethel College.
Haury was one of the original professors who had started his teaching career at the Halstead Seminary, which would later transition to Bethel College. In September 1893, the evening following the dedication ceremony for Bethel, Haury gave a speech to the first student assembly. In 1910, following the retirement of David Goerz, he assumed the duties of Business Manager. One of the first honorary degrees was given to Haury in 1923 when he was granted the Master of Arts for his thirty years of faithful and efficient service to the college. Ill health forced him to resign his position in February 1926. He passed away a few month later. G. A. Haury was the last member of the original faculty.
The home passed to Haury’s son, Gus, who served as the assistant in Academy English and the physical director for men. He taught from 1922 to 1928, when he resigned.
In 1934, the home was purchased by W. H. Hohmann, who was the head of the music department and instructor in piano, organ, theory of music and director of chorus. In 1930, he was made Dean of the Music Department. Today, the home is owned by his son, Rupert Hohmann, who served as a professor of Bethel from 1957 to 1962.
The included image of a 1908 picture of the property, courtesy of the Mennonite Library & Archives, North Newton.