Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Places

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The properties listed below have been named to the Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Properties because they possess significant historical, archeological and/or architectural qualities.
The Wirkler-Krehbiel House, built in 1898, is one of the oldest in North Newton.  This Queen Anne style home was built by Christian and Elizabeth Wirkler and later purchased by their daughter Mary and her husband, C. E. Krehbiel.  The Krehbiel’s were longtime residents of the home, and after their passing, their children donated the house to Bethel College in 1958.

From the time it was constructed the home has had many ties to Bethel College.  Originally, the Wirkler’s ran the home as a boarding house for college students.  Their daughters, Mary and Elizabeth Wirkler, were both Bethel College art teachers.  While the house was owned by Bethel, it was a home to many faculty families and spent time as a college guest house.  Today, the beautiful Wirkler-Krehbiel House is once again under private ownership.

Return to full list >>