Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Places

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The properties listed below have been named to the Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Properties because they possess significant historical, archeological and/or architectural qualities.

The E. H. Hoag House, built in 1885, was designed by Varney Brothers Architects of Detroit, MI in the Queen Anne Style. 
E. H. Hoag came to the Newton area in 1871 settling on a farm in the Garden Township of Harvey County.  In an effort to provide for a more stable existence, he moved his family to Newton and quickly established himself in Newton business circles.  By 1884, he was a successful banker and served as president of Newton’s Commercial Bank.  Hoag, and his wife Ellen, built the home at 303 W Broadway, as a translation of their wealth and success, for its desirable location with its proximity to the downtown and distance from lower class neighborhoods.

Hoag suffered tremendous loss during the Newton Panic when real estate and banking crashed in the early 1890s.  Hoag’s Commercial Bank was among the first fail.  All of the projects he’d invested in went bankrupt, which included the Newton Buggy Company, the street railway and the electric light company.  However, he managed to hold on to his home, which was in his wife’s name, until 1896.  Following Hoag’s departure, other prominent citizens took residence.  H. M. Walt owned the property in 1900 when he added the turreted porch and added to the west side of the home.  The home changed again when it came under the ownership of J. T. Axtell.  To maximize his investment, he removed Walt’s addition on the west, moving it to the south and built onto it for the home that stands today.


Return to full list >>