Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Places

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The properties listed below have been named to the Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Properties because they possess significant historical, archeological and/or architectural qualities.
The Neal House was built in the Italianate style in 1875 and designed by Smith & Arment of Wichita.  Jairus E. Neal came to Newton from Iowa where he’d owned the Marion County National Bank, practiced law and served in the Iowa House and Senate.  Upon moving to Newton, he founded and established the area’s first bank, the Harvey County Savings Bank.  Today, First Bank of Newton can trace their roots to this institution making them the oldest bank in the county and the only one to survive the Newton Panic of the 1890s.  Neal was also a Mason, an attorney and a democratic politician, organizing, and serving as chair, of the first ever Democratic Mass Meeting held in Harvey County.  He ran on the democratic ticket for the 28th senatorial district in 1876 and 1880, but was defeated by the republican candidate.  As a Mason, Neal was instrumental in the construction of the Masonic Temple and helped to organize the Royal Arch Masons and served as King.  Neal’s impact on the early development of Newton was short-lived as he passed away only nine years after he arrived, but his impact is still evident today in both the First Bank and the Masonic Temple.
Return to full list >>