Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Places

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The properties listed below have been named to the Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Properties because they possess significant historical, archeological and/or architectural qualities.
The Lincoln School was built in 1917 by Newton Architects Greenebaum and Hardy in the Collegiate Gothic architectural style.  Samuel Greenebaum was a 1904 graduate of Newton.  He studied architecture in Chicago and returned to Newton establishing his practice with Arthur Hardy in 1912.  In 1914, Greenebaum and Hardy moved their practice to Kansas City, where they remained until retirement.  In Newton, they were responsible for the design of no fewer than five buildings.  These include: Newton City Auditorium in 1912(no longer extant), Newton High Scho0l in 1914(no longer extant), Lincoln School in 1917, Railroad Savings & Loan in 1925 and the Ripley Hotel in 1925 (no longer extant).

The Lincoln School is the third of these five structures in Newton designed by Greenebaum and Hardy, and it exemplified the Collegiate Gothic style, architectural expression that was especially well-suited for education structures.  Lincoln is unlike any other public school building in Newton in its use of this style.  Its classically derived facade distinguishes it among the city’s schools and among the city’s public buildings.  Today the structure serves as an apartment building called Lincoln Park Apartments, but the design and architectural style remains intact.  It serves as a reminder of its impact on early education and its connection to one of Newton’s most noteworthy early 20th century designers.

Return to full list >>