Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Places

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The properties listed below have been named to the Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Properties because they possess significant historical, archeological and/or architectural qualities.
The Newton Stadium was constructed in 1935-1936 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) relief project during the Great Depression.  The WPA was a federal agency whose goal was to provide work for a number of the nation’s unemployed by funding a variety of projects across the country.  From 1935 to 1939, the WPA was responsible for the construction of 619 public buildings in Kansas including courthouses, schools, and community buildings.  In Newton, Cooper and McKinley Elementary schools were subsidized by the agency in 1938 and a phase of construction on the new High School (now the Santa Fe 5/6 Center) in 1939.  They also helped to fund the construction of sewers and roads.  
The WPA also funded the construction of recreation facilities as their benefit was two-fold.  These projects not only provided work for the unemployed, but once completed, helped to satisfy the expanded leisure needs introduced by a government mandated reduction in work-week hours.  Between 1935 and 1939, the WPA was responsible for the construction of 52 stadiums, including the Newton Stadium

Return to full list >>