Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Places

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The properties listed below have been named to the Newton/North Newton Register of Historic Properties because they possess significant historical, archeological and/or architectural qualities.

Listed on the Local Register in 2000, this historic building began as the Baptist Church. With its pointed windows and gables, it is an excellent example of Protestant wood frame Gothic architecture. The windows retain their original stained glass and inside the tin ceilings are intact.

Baptists organized in July of 1877. In November, members pitched in and began work on a building at 210 W 5th Street.  Dedication was held on January 27, 1878. A week later, after powerful revival meetings, they baptized twelve individuals in the cold waters of Sand Creek. In 1884, Baptists built a new, more stylish, church and sold the old. Many groups have used the “old church,” including Mennonites, German Baptists, Second Baptist Church, First Christian Church, Evangelicals, Seventy-Day Adventists, and Holsey Chapel. In 1968, Holsey Chapel closed and the site and building were sold to an auto dealership.  Demolition seemed eminent when the building was purchased in the nick of time by the People’s Bible Baptist Church who moved it to its present location. They renamed it the 1877 Meeting House and the building still retains many of its original features.


Return to full list >>